Please note that we are actively recruiting for the position of Board Treasurer. Please click here to learn more.
We are looking to expand our Board of Directors. We are seeking individuals willing to give of their expertise and time - especially with strong personal and professional networks and skills in organization development, tourism, finance, law, business, or fund development - to guide strategy, build the organization, and actively secure resources needed to execute the organization's mission.
Service on the CEN's Board of Directors offers a tremendous opportunity to help mold the innovative programs and strategies that will transform the communities we assist, as well as build a sustainable organization capable of carrying out our mission.
The role of CEN board members is to:
- Preserve the public trust
- Provide a guiding strategy
- Work with the Executive Director to set goals and objectives
- Oversee the organization's finances
- Actively secure resources needed to execute the organization's mission
- take on an active working role on at least one working group.
We welcome both experienced and first-time board members.
Candidates must reside in (or travel regularly to) the Pacific Northwest of the United States.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a trusted adviser to the Executive Director as he develops and implements CEN's strategic plan
- Work with the Executive Director to set goals and objectives for the organization and ensure that they are properly executed
- Approve CEN's annual budget and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Identify and help recruit additional board members
- Drive resources to ensure the organization has the resources it needs to accomplish its mission
- Help spread awareness and engage colleagues, friends and others with our organization
- Serve as an ambassador to the organization
- Play a leadership role on at least one staff working group
- Thank donors for their support
All board members are also expected to participate (in person or by teleconference) in monthly board meetings.
All board members are expected to treat CEN as one of their philanthropic priorities and are expected to make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their giving capacity. This could be through making a direct donation or successfully securing support from other individuals or organizations.
KSAs (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities) Needed:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- Possess clout, power and leverage and have influence within their own community and among our constituency – people who can open doors, attract others to the cause and serve as ambassadors
- A commitment to and understanding of CEN's beneficiaries, preferably based on experience, and a dedication to improving their lives
- While specific fundraising experience is not required, we are looking for individuals with a proven capacity to mobilize resources
- Comfortable with and highly effective at networking with peers
- Personal qualities of integrity and credibility
- International experience, particularly developing country experience, is highly preferred
- While we are looking for a broad range of backgrounds, we are also especially looking for someone with one or more of the following skills and areas of experience:
- strong legal
- building a start-up business
Service on CEN's Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for approved administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members' duties. Please be able to commit a minimum average of 10 hours a month.
Board selection process:
The board selection process is fairly informal, but generally follows the following steps:
- Discussion with one member of the board, who will be your sponsor
- Telephone conversations or personal meetings, as appropriate, with at least two other current board members
- Join and participate on one of our working groups for a minimum of 45 days prior to being nominated to join the board. All board members are expected to continue serving on at least one working group after being elected to serve on the board.
- Vote by the CEN membership, which includes board members and most active volunteers
For more information on serving on our Board of Directors please contact:
Tel: +1 (206) 329-6244
If you are interested in applying for a board position, please send your resume and cover note to our